Monday, September 14, 2015

Homemade Coconut Lavender Shampoo


I friend recently sent me this recipe for homemade Coconut Lavender Shampoo.  It's supposed to be better for your hair and leave it softer, smoother, shinier, healthier, etc.  I like to try new things and better ways to care for my hair and skin without using all the products with so many chemicals in them.  Financially, it makes more sense to use Herbal Esssences Shampoo that I got for a quarter using coupons, but health-wise, I like to experiment with better ways.  So, I got all the ingredients that I needed, only three things (sounds good so far), and I set out to try this natural shampoo.  

The ingredients you will need are:

3 cups of Liquid Pure-Castile Soap
3 cups of Coconut Milk
80 drops of Lavender Essential Oil





I measured out 3 cups of the Castile soap and poured it into a large mixing bowl.





Next, I measured out 3 cups of Coconut Milk, this turned out to be a little less than 2 cans, so I just poured it all in and added a little more Castile soap.




Then, I put in about 80 drops of Lavender Essential Oil.




Then I used a wisk to mix it all together.




Once it was mixed, I poured the mixture into three different jars.




This recipe ended up making about 50 ounces of shampoo.  In comparison, the Herbal Essences bottle of shampoo is only 10 ounces.



The mixture did not turn out like traditional shampoo at all.  It is very runny, but it smells really good.  It appears to settle in the jars, so a good shake before each use is best.  I will be using a squeeze bottle to dispense it when washing my hair, and just storing the remaining shampoo in the jars.

Cost to make:

Liquid Castile Soap - $12.65
Lavender Oil - $2.65
Coconut Milk - $2.58

TOTAL COST FOR 50 OUNCES - $17.88

That's approximately $3.50 per 10 ounce bottle.  Not too bad.  I'll be trying this shampoo out tonight.






3 comments:

  1. Girl, you are such a handy gal. This is really interesting. Looking forward to hearing how it works.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have been too cautious to make the whole recipe! But it sounds as if it probably smells absolutely wonderful! I will be interested to hear your report on how it works for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am anxious for your results! I was thinking to save on cost you could use scented castile soap like peppermint or lavender. I love to make my own household cleaners and skin care stuffs. I have an awesome recipe for deodorant that has just 3 or 4 ingredients. Look for it on my blog if you are interested. It really works! Many blessings to you ma'am!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...